Lagunitas Lit

The Student News Site of Lagunitas Community School

Lagunitas Lit

Lagunitas Lit

Puff Daddy Controversy
April 21, 2024
Final Alabama Update
Final Alabama Update
April 19, 2024

Final Alabama Update

For almost a year now, people of the Lagunitas community have come together to help fundraise for this year’s Alabama Civil Rights Trip. We have raised the necessary total of $76,000 and students are excited to learn more about the civil rights movement.

After much hard work, the Alabama trip is just around the corner. This trip marks a significant and exciting rite of passage for 8th graders as they end their middle school journey. This year, 34 students and 16 chaperones will make the trip across the country to visit various museums and monuments, which each tell a story of struggle and triumph that are each an important part of American history. 

One of the more recent events was the Crab Feed, held on February 3rd,

Which not only raised a lot of money, but  was also a great experience for the 8th grade students to learn how to serve food to their community. In life, truly remarkable things seldom occur without the presence of hard work. The class of 2024, alongside their parents and teachers stepped up to make this once in a lifetime trip a reality.  

The 8th grade has been learning about civil rights and the civil rights movement since the beginning of the school year. They recently finished reading Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson and are currently reading To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. The 8th graders are excited to see the places that they’ve been learning about.

Beyond the educational value of the trip, the Alabama Civil Rights trip brings 8th graders closer together. It stands as a last hurrah for middle school, a memorable adventure that students can carry with them into the upcoming years of high school.